East Antrim Hockey Club

East Antrim Hockey Club
We're Reading

Short Corners,
Long Memories





Contact Us


© Copyright 1996- 2019
East Antrim HC
All rights reserved.
Non Sibi Cunctus.

HomeMembers OnlyNewsClubHistoryFun StuffMultimediaWeb Site Specification

Press Release - 15/09/1996

East Antrim Hockey Club
15 September 1996

For further information, contact:
Stephen Swann
Press Release Officer - East Antrim Hockey Club
34 Carnmoney Road, Newtownabbey, BT36 6HP
078 0316 7731


East Antrim 1st XI took on an under strength Parkview 2nds in the home team's final pre-season friendly at the Valley Leisure Centre on Saturday. East Antrim were also missing players due to the McDonald brothers playing groom and best man for the day at the eldest brother's wedding.

The first half saw East Antrim having the better chances, forcing penalty corner after penalty corner. But Parkview looked equally strong in attack. The deadlock, however, was finally broken just before half-time when a penalty stroke was awarded to East Antrim following a shot on target being stopped on the line by a foot. Neal Hermon stepped up to score a fortunate goal as the Parkview keeper reacted well.

The second half started in a flurry of action as a sweeping move down the right flank resulted in Tim Kay extending East's lead. Despite his laid-back celebrations, this was Tim's first ever goal for East Antrim. Within minutes a third goal was added - Hermon's second of the match from a penalty corner. The penalty corners started to pay off as on form Michael Adams scored the home team's fourth goal.

East Antrim's fitness program in recent weeks also seemed to be having effect as the Parkview team visibly tired. A move starting from Tim Kay on the left hand side of the pitch right across the field through each midfielder to Alan Burgess and Hermon resulted in a fine cross to David Caldwell who scored with a first time shot. East Antrim spectators agreed after the match that it was the finest goal scored by an East Antrim team for quite a few years.

With the score at 5-0, another penalty corner, dummied by Caldwell, left vice-captain Alan Burgess a free shot on goal which he wasn;t going to let pass him by. Parkview, in the final minutes of the game did come close to a consolation goal, which Alan Murphy prevented with a chest-high goal-line clearance.

The final score of 6-0 was the biggest winning margin for an East Antrim 1st XI in any match for over 10 years and must give confidence to a team who next face Larne in the Intermediate Cup on Tuesday, 24th September.

Man of the match went to Mark Watson, operating at Right Back. Mark's contribution in attack in recent weeks has been of a very high standard for a player who is still only 16.

Meanwhile, at Ballysillan Leisure Centre, East Antrim 2nd XI were engaged in a thrilling encounter with a very strong Cliftonville team. Colin Black, starring in an under-strength team, scored both goals in a 2-2 draw. Robert Gibson, 2nd XI Captain, said after the game, however, that if he were to name a Man Of The Match, it would go to David Kerr, 18 - one for the future.